Thursday, June 14, 2012

It really is the little things...


So I’m a little homesick.  After a month and a half, it’s set in.  I can’t say I didn’t expect it, but let’s just say I’m looking at it with the same perspective I’ve been looking at typhoid: it’s a sickness and please make it go away.  It’s natural I suppose to find myself missing home, missing people, missing American food, missing everyday (western) life, but honestly, it’s no fun.

So in order to help get over this sad and depressed feeling, I’ve decided not only to spend extra time in the Word (because that’s where true encouragement and joy comes from), but to also put myself through a little exercise I’d like to call “Although”.  Basically, I contrasted something hard about India with something I’m thankful for.  Some are really trivial, some aren’t at all, but I thought I’d share a few of them with you.  After all, there are lessons to be learned - even in homesickness.


 
1.  Although I’m far away from friends and family and I miss them a lot, I’m thankful for two very good friends I have here.  They have been encouraging and loving at every turn, and we keep each other laughing.
 
2.  Although I am already tired of eating rice and dahl (a curried lentil mixture) every single day, I’m thankful I have food.  Especially since people living less than a mile away from me don’t have it. 

3.  Although I usually have about 5 flies in my room at all times, I haven’t seen any cockroaches or scorpions yet!! (This is way more important than you think)

4.  Although my shower does little more than spit at me and I have to heat up my water, at least I can take one, and there is instant running water.

5.  Although I can’t actually drink the water here, we do have bottled water!

6.  Although we have to walk everywhere we go (which means uphill both ways…not kidding), I’m thankful that I have two working legs, and that I actually enjoy walking!  Not to mention these hills have been a good substitute for running.

7.  Although I miss playing the piano…really bad, I have a guitar that was given to me, and I’m learning another instrument.

8.  Although I really miss cooking and planning my own meals, I haven’t had to do dishes in over a month!

9.  Although we don’t have air conditioning, I’m really thankful for this little fan Michael bought me because it’s really hot outside.  And soon, it’ll be monsoon season, which means it’ll be cold anyway.

10.  Although I miss Sunday mornings at Countryside SO much, I’m thankful I can listen to the sermons online.  They’ve been such an encouragement, and it’s nice to hear a familiar voice :)

11.  Although I got Typhoid and it was pretty miserable, I’m mostly better now.  Thank God for antibiotics and a (terrible) vaccine!  I’m learning to value my health even more than I already did.

12.  Although it’ll be 5 more months till I see my friends again, I’m thankful for Skype and Voxer and Facebook because it helps me keep up with those I love, and makes me feel like I’m not forgotten about :)

13.  Although I miss wearing tank tops and shorts (especially in this heat), I was happy to find that Indian clothes are actually quite comfortable.  And cheap!  I had an entire outfit made for me, and from fabric to tailor, it cost me less than $10.  Score!

14.  Although this wifi is sketchy at best, at least I have it.  And usually it allows me to do most of the things I want to do.

15.  Although I miss Kansas, I’m thankful Mussoorie and Landour look nothing like it.  These mountains are beautiful!

16.  Although I miss hearing English and seeing English, I am learning to speak Hindi.  And the more I learn, the more people I’ll be able to reach.  My heart just bleeds for the children here.  Can’t wait till I know enough of their language to tell them that they are loved.  (By the way, I’m starting a project about the children of India, involving a few trips to orphanages and research around Landour and Delhi.  More on that later…)

17.  Although there are many cultural barriers that I’m learning my way around, I’m thankful that a smile transcends all of those.

18.  Although India is the loudest place on earth (especially at night), I have a sound machine that could block out the sound of a nuclear bomb.  Puts me right to sleep, no problem.

19.  Although traffic in the city is so crazy it makes me want to cry (why do they waste paint on lane dividers?), I’m thankful that God has kept us safe through some very close calls. And you think I’m a crazy driver…

20.  Although I miss driving, I have my beautiful car waiting for me when I get home.  I couldn’t drive here anyways.  They drive on the left side and I’m still not used to it.

21.  Although I’m tired of being stared at because I’m a white female….wait….I can’t think of anything good about that.  It’s super annoying and really awkward.

22.  Although I’m not being spoon-fed spiritually by a pastor or small group or a mentor, I’m learning straight from the Word, and to me that’s way more special.  I love hearing right from the heart of God.  He can teach me things no one else can.

23.  Although sometimes it's exhausting living your ENTIRE life out of your comfort zone, I’m thankful I’m always learning because that means He hasn’t left me alone

24.  I’m thankful that I just heard about a bakery shop down in the village that sells chocolate chip cookies.  I’ve been craving those for weeks.  No drawbacks about that!  Can’t wait to check it out later tonight.

25.  Although sometimes a 10 and ½ hour time difference can be frustrating when trying to communicate with people back home, I LOVE waking up to a bunch of messages that people left me overnight.

26.  Although radio is not an option here, I still have my country music playlist on my iPod that makes me happy every time I listen to it.

27.  Although I’m lonely sometimes, I’m thankful that it’s just in my head.  I was promised that I would never be left alone, and I am learning to choose to believe it.


After writing all that, I’m already encouraged.  The right perspective is so important, and sometimes, it really is the little things!

2 comments:

  1. Brittany,
    I love that Christ is working in you during this time. Homesickness is a blessed curse-- it stinks to feel that way, but you feel that way cause you have been blessed with an awesome home! I know it's really easy to focus on the homesickness and to get frustrated with yourself, but the way you're currently fighting it is the best thing to do! God will bless you in your obedience. And people stare at you because you're an --->attractive<--- white woman. Get get over it.
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your post! I have done this before and it really helps put things in perspective. We shouldn't be focusing on ourselves, anyway...but focusing on God, who He is and what He is doing!

    ReplyDelete