Monday, April 23, 2012

Ready or not!


This has been a week of small things and big things.  

Well actually, things that I made to be a big deal, God took care of quite easily.  And things that I have minimized are turning out to be harder than I thought.

Big thing that I made complicated and God made simple: got my Visa today!  Came in a couple of days early too.  I feel so much better with it in hand, and it definitely makes it official.  It’s still not real to me that I’m actually going, and might not be till I step off the plane.  But ready or not, here it comes.  Eleven days and counting.

Small thing that actually might be a big deal: saying goodbye.  Fair warning, I will cry.  I never cry, but this week I’m just going to plan on it.  I’m allowing myself a little sadness, because as my dear friend Kelly said, being sad is good; it means you have something to miss, and something to return to.  That gives me a little perspective, and also makes me thankful to have what I have.   Not every young, single person who moves to a different state by herself has the life that I have been given.  I’m surrounded by amazing friends that have welcomed me into their families, and have been blessed beyond measure with my church and those in it. 

Although I have to say, I’ve discovered that is entirely possible to be extremely excited and melancholy at the same time.  I guess that’s to be expected when everything in your life is about to change.

I have to say though, I’m so excited for what I’m going to be doing in India.  I get to be with dear friends, help take care of their beautiful little boy, and go visit precious children in orphanages.   I will get to demonstrate love to little kids who might have never experienced it otherwise.  I will get a chance to show them what it it’s like to be a kid, and what it’s like to have someone in their life who cares about them.  I can’t wait to spend time with them, learn their names and personalities, and become their friend.  How can I love someone I haven’t even met yet?  It’s awesome and I can’t wait.

Another thing that helps me look forward to this next big step in my life is the town I’m going to be living in.  Mussoorie, India is a beautiful part of the country, and I’ve included a couple pictures that my friend took today from her phone.  Gorgeous, huh?

Quite the view, right?

The courtyard of the apartments where I'll be staying

How did I get so lucky? :)


1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! The children will love you... I know it!

    ReplyDelete